I am in a moment that I want to change my health. I know that by simply changing my health, a lot of my life that I want will come naturally. It's not weight loss that I want, but it's the life I've lost because of my weight. I need to move forward and walk the walk. I have a ton of knowledge about health, yet I have bad follow through. This blog will make a difference because hopefully I can make a difference in your life. .

Friday, April 30, 2010



April 19th, 2010

For the final recipe on Day 7 of “Hip Hip for Hummus Week”, we visit a classic cheesy dip translated into a healthier (and vegan) alternative — spinach and artichoke hummus!
I thought it would be a fun experiment, but was surprised by how much I loved this recipe!  The classic spin-artichoke combination, paired with the rich tahini and lemon juice proved to be even more flavorful (in my opinion!) than the classic dip I’ve made for years!  And…you get to trade in a bunch of extra fiber for all of that cheese.  :)
I’m sure I’ll still continue to make both, but this is a wonderful alternative for whenever you get the spinach artichoke craving!  And, with no baking required, it can be whipped up in less than 5 minutes.  Perfect!
As a recap, here were the 7 recipes in “Hip Hip for Hummus Week”.  Enjoy!!


Spinach Artichoke Hummus
(Original recipe)
Ingredients:
  • 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained (juice reserved)
  • 4 cups fresh spinach, loosely packed
  • 1/2 cup artichoke hearts
  • 2 Tbsp. tahini
  • 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
  • salt and pepper, to taste
Method:
Combine all ingredients in a food processor, and blend until smooth.  If you desire a thinner consistency, add in a few extra tablespoons of the reserved chickpea juice.
Ali’s Tip:
To give this an extra kick, I also tried adding in a seeded fresh jalapeno, and it was fantastic!  You could even add in half of a pepper if you’d like.
Also, to make this taste a little more like classic spinach-artichoke dip, just mix in 1/4 (or 1/2 cup) grated parmesan cheese.

No comments: