I am in a moment that I want to change my health. I know that by simply changing my health, a lot of my life that I want will come naturally. It's not weight loss that I want, but it's the life I've lost because of my weight. I need to move forward and walk the walk. I have a ton of knowledge about health, yet I have bad follow through. This blog will make a difference because hopefully I can make a difference in your life. .

Friday, April 30, 2010

Potluck Pockets

Here is another recipe for you today that uses pitas.  I am hoping to try a homemade version of pitas soon.  When I do I will share.
This is a recipe I have been making for a while and is a family favorite.  I found it years ago in a Taste of Home magazine.  The pockets are filled with a savory beef filling.  Then you drizzle it with a sauce.  The recipe is quite salty so if you are not a fan of salty you may not like this one.  The salty flavor comes from soy sauce and worcestershire sauce.  This will be a great recipe for warm weather,  It’s all made on the stove top!  It also comes together in about 30 minutes.

Potluck Pockets
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 6 pita breads, halvedon
  • 2 medium tomatoes, diced
  • 3 cups shredded lettuce
  • SAUCE:
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • Dash pepper
  1. In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, garlic powder, cumin and Italian seasoning; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5-10 minutes.
  2. In a small saucepan, bring sauce ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5-10 minutes. Spoon meat mixture into pita halves; top with sauce, tomatoes and lettuce. Yield: 6 servings

No comments: