I am in a moment that I want to change my health. I know that by simply changing my health, a lot of my life that I want will come naturally. It's not weight loss that I want, but it's the life I've lost because of my weight. I need to move forward and walk the walk. I have a ton of knowledge about health, yet I have bad follow through. This blog will make a difference because hopefully I can make a difference in your life. .

Friday, April 30, 2010

Fruited Tuna Salad Pitas

My last and final prize winner for the blue topaz is Valen who said, “Love that necklace and cake!”  Enjoy the necklace,  it is a simple yet beautiful design.
As the weather starts to warm up, it would be nice to have a few great meals that don’t require much effort or time in the kitchen.  This recipe for Fruited Tuna Salad Pitas came from my recent issue of Simple and Delicious.  It is perfect for those kind of days.  I have had a sweet tuna salad before with fruit in it and loved it, so I figured I would also enjoy this version.  It was tasty.
My family turned their nose up at it at first but loved it once they had their first bite.  My husband is not a fan of mandarin oranges and he didn’t mind them at all in this dish.  Light and refreshing, perfect for those I don’t want to cook nights!  The salad is intended to be put on a whole pita and eaten like a taco.  However, it would also work well inside a pita pocket if you’d prefer.  You could  place them on the flat bread recipe I have shared before.  You could even substitute chicken for the tuna too.

Fruited Tuna Salad Pitas
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 Tbsp. honey
  • 1 can (12 oz) white albacore water packed tuna, drained (regular tuna would also work)
  • 1 can (11 oz.) mandarin Oranges, drained
  • 1 medium apple, chopped
  • 1/3 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 rib celery, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 4 (6 in.) pita breads
  • alfalfa sprouts (or you could use lettuce if you prefer)
  1. In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise and honey.
  2. Stir in tuna, apple, pecans, celery, cranberries and salt.  Gently fold in the oranges.
  3. Top each pita with sprouts followed by the tuna salad.

No comments: