I am in a moment that I want to change my health. I know that by simply changing my health, a lot of my life that I want will come naturally. It's not weight loss that I want, but it's the life I've lost because of my weight. I need to move forward and walk the walk. I have a ton of knowledge about health, yet I have bad follow through. This blog will make a difference because hopefully I can make a difference in your life. .

Friday, April 30, 2010

How to Make Coconut Milk



If you….
  1. Love recipes that only take about 3 minutes of total prep time…
  2. Love all things coconut
  3. Don’t love all things coconut (like me…but I love this milk!)
  4. Love milk
  5. But maybe don’t like or can’t drink regular milk for various reasons
  6. Are a Vegan
  7. Don’t like paying for overpriced coconut milk in the stores
  8. Like being able to control the type/amount of sweetener in your coconut milk
  9. Have yet to ever experience the sweet, creamy, rich goodness of coconut milk…….
Then this recipe is for you!!!!!

Truly, it’s so fast, and so simple, so cheap, and so delicious that there’s no reason NOT to try it.  :)  It’s full of great nutrients, and can be used a zillion ways.  (I’ve included a short list below of some possible uses, both in and out of the kitchen.)  So grab a bag of coconut, and give it a try!  I really think you’ll love it!


How To: Make Coconut Milk
(Adapted from Elana’s Pantry)
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 Tbsp. honey or agave nectar (or 6 drops stevia)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Method:
Soak coconut in water for 1-2 hours (do not discard water).
In a blender (or you could do small batches in a food processor), combine coconut, water, vanilla and honey and process on highest speed.
Strain liquid through a fine mesh strainer (or a strainer bag, or cheesecloth would work), discarding solids.  Serve or refrigerate.
Possible Uses:
  • Baking: can be used as a substitute for milk in a variety of baking recipes
  • Beverages: coffee, tea, smoothies, milkshakes, eggnog, pina coladas, or a variety of alcoholic beverages
  • Cooking: used in noodle dishes, rice dishes, grain dishes, stir-frys, etc., and it is called for especially in many Thai, Indian, African and Hawaiian dishes
  • Skin Care: used as a moisturizing face wash, mixed into water for a bubble bath, or even used as a hair conditioner
Ali’s Tip:
This also works with sweetened coconut.  Just omit the extra natural sweetener (honey, agave, stevia, etc.).

No comments: