I am in a moment that I want to change my health. I know that by simply changing my health, a lot of my life that I want will come naturally. It's not weight loss that I want, but it's the life I've lost because of my weight. I need to move forward and walk the walk. I have a ton of knowledge about health, yet I have bad follow through. This blog will make a difference because hopefully I can make a difference in your life. .

Friday, April 30, 2010

QUINOA-GRAPEFRUIT-CUCUMBER SALAD
I saw the inspiration for this on another blog and had to make it.  All the flavors sounded so beautiful together, and they are!
This is a light, summery salad, full of good-for-you carbs and protein from the quinoa.  With a slightly spicy dressing and undertones of fresh mint…what’s not to love?   Serve it with a moist chicken breast or some deli-turkey slices for a very filling lunch.
(Don’t let the carb count of this scare you.  Quinoa is something that doesn’t seem to cause cravings.  I am a carb-craver to the CORE, and have never had a problem with quinoa.)
~~~~
2 cups cooked quinoa (directions below)
1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
2/3 cup diced grapefruit (see what I used below…reserve juice)
2 green onions (scallions) sliced – green parts only
2 tablespoons sliced almonds
1 tablespoon fresh mint, minced
DRESSING:
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons grapefruit juice
1 1/2 tablespoons agave nectar (OR 1 tablespoon honey)
1 tablespoon rice vinegar – regular flavor
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt – or to taste
.
In a large bowl combine the cooked quinoa, cucumber, grapefruit, green onions, almonds, and mint.  Set aside.
In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, grapefruit juice, agave, vinegar, cinnamon, ginger, cumin, pepper, and salt.  Pour over salad and mix well.
I loved it as soon as it was made, but it only got more intense and yummy after it was chilled!
Makes approx. six  1/2-cup servings.
Per Serving: Calories 211; Protein 5 g; Fat 10 g; NET Carbs 20 g; Fiber 2 g; Sugar 7 g; Sodium 59 mg
.
Cooking Quinoa:  It cooks like long-grain rice…very easy.  For this salad I cooked it in salted water, but using chicken, beef, or vegetable broth works great, too.  I’ve also done it with half water, half coconut milk for a breakfast cereal-version.
Bring 1 cup water and a little less than 1/8 teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan.  Stir in 1/2 cup rinsed quinoa.  (Rinse in a fine mesh sieve making sure the water runs clear.  Most on the market – even the bulk stuff – is very clean already.)
Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 18-20 minutes, or until all water is absorbed and the white ‘tail’ or ‘ring’ can be seen on each seed.  Fluff with a fork and allow to cool to room temp for this salad.  Or cool, cover and chill for later use.  It should stay nice and fluffy.
.
I LOVE these little cups for use in recipes.  All the work has been done AND you get some juice to use for the dressing!  They can be found in the produce section, usually by the bagged salads or chilled dressings.  I used all of the grapefruit and 2 tablespoons of the juice for this recipe.

Also really good with Mandarin Oranges and orange juice! Little bit easier and cheaper that way too!

No comments: