I am in a moment that I want to change my health. I know that by simply changing my health, a lot of my life that I want will come naturally. It's not weight loss that I want, but it's the life I've lost because of my weight. I need to move forward and walk the walk. I have a ton of knowledge about health, yet I have bad follow through. This blog will make a difference because hopefully I can make a difference in your life. .

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The 7 Most Prescribed Physical Therapy Stretches

I think that most of us recognize that flexibility of our joints and muscles is helpful in preventing injuries and improving musculoskeletal health.  However, very few people set aside time to stretch when such a habit could greatly reduce pain levels and improve performance.

As a physical therapist, I see a variety of diagnoses throughout the day, but in reality most of these problems can be streamlined into just a few typical dysfunctional movement patterns.  As a result, there are several stretches that I end up prescribing very often to help combat these patterns.
My suspicion would be that most of you reading this post right now could probably be grouped into at least one of these patterns I am speaking of.  So, whether you are currently experiencing movement-related pain or not these stretches would be a great addition to your daily routine.  Stretching can be performed anytime of the day and should take no longer than 10-15 minutes.  I recommend performing each stretch two times and holding for 30 seconds – 2 minutes.
Stretch #1 – Pectoral stretch – combats rounded shoulders and slouching

Stretch #2 – Lumbar (low back) stretch – helps maintain spinal flexibility

Stretch #3 – Piriformis stretch – piriformis muscle tightness can contribute to sciatica

Stretch #4 – Hamstring stretch – often tight in those who sit at work

Stretch #5 – Hip flexor stretch – foot on wall or grab with hand if the first stretch is too easy

Stretch #6 – Calf stretch

Stretch #7 – Upper trapezius stretch

 Now for the review! I have been wanting some basic stretches to do on my lunch break since I work at a desk. By lunch time I'm soo stiff that I don't want to work when I sit back down. I do yoga in the morning, but these are the perfect stretches to get in the mood after a nice lunch!

No comments: